This is my absolute favourite summer soup!
- English Cucumbers 2
- Butter 1 Tbs
- Canola Oil 1 Tbs
- Onion 1 small, minced
- All-Purpose Flour 2 Tbs
- Chicken or Vegetable Stock 3 cups
- Salt and White Pepper to taste
- Sour Cream or Buttermilk 1 cup
- Garlic 1 clove, minced
- Green Onion, Chives or Chive Blossoms, Fresh Mint or Parsley for garnish
- Dice the cucumbers without peeling; set aside. Melt the butter with the oil in a saucepan; stir in the onion and cucumber. Cook over medium heat till softened, about 15 minutes. Stir in the flour; continue to cook for 1 to 2 minutes. Add stock, bring to a boil, cover and reduce the heat. Simmer for 20 minutes. Remove from the heat; purée the soup with a hand blender. Add salt and white pepper to taste.
- Chill for at least 6 hours but overnight is best.
- Before serving stir in the sour cream; add the garlic and purée with a hand blender or a food processor till smooth. Serve in chilled bowls. Garnish with minced green onion, chives or chive flowers and sprigs of fresh mint or parsley.
Adapted from Anita Stewart’s CANADA, the Food, the Recipes, the Stories (Harper Collins Canada 2014).