This salad of broad beans, tomato, feta cheese, olives and purple potatoes from Chef Martin Morales is as tasty as it is colourful and substantial enough to stand on its own for lunch or a light supper.
For the salad
- Purple Potatoes or Regular Floury Potatoes 125 g
- New Potatoes 125 g
- Broad Beans 75 g
- Choclo Corn Kernels or Sweetcorn Kernels 75 g
- Cherry Tomatoes 8, halved
- Peruvian Botija Olives or Kalamata Olives 8, halved
- Amarillo Chilli or Medium-Heat Red Chilli 1, deseeded and julienned
- Queso Fresco 75 g, crumbled, or Cottage Cheese 75 g
- Spring Onions 2, very thinly sliced, to serve
- Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper
For the dressing
- Olive Oil 75 ml
- White Wine Vinegar 50 ml
- Rocoto Pepper Paste ½ Tbs (recipe below)
- Parsley a few leaves, finely torn
- Red Onion ¼ small, finely chopped
For the rocoto pepper paste
- Olive Oil 1 Tbs
- Onion 1/4, finely chopped
- Rocoto Pepper 1, or 1 Medium-Heat Red Chilli and 1 Habanero or Scotch Bonnet deseeded and finely chopped
- Garlic 2 cloves, crushed
- Make the pepper paste: Heat the oil in a small frying pan over a medium heat. Add the onion and sauté for 8–10 minutes until soft, then add the pepper or chillies and the garlic and sauté for 2–3 minutes more to soften. Allow to cool, then use a mini-processor or stick blender to blitz to a paste. Store until needed.
- Put all the potatoes in a saucepan and cover with water. Put over a high heat and bring to the boil. Salt the water and cook the potatoes until tender (about 15 minutes), then drain and allow to cool. Cut into cubes or thick slices.
- Bring another saucepan of water to the boil over a high heat. Salt the water, then add the broad beans and choclo or sweetcorn and cook for 3–4 minutes until just tender. Drain and allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, make the dressing. Whisk the olive oil and white wine vinegar together with the rocoto paste and season with salt and pepper. Stir through the parsley leaves and red onion, then set aside. (Store any leftover dressing in a sterilized jar in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.)
- To assemble the salad, put the potatoes, broad beans and choclo or sweetcorn in a bowl with the cherry tomatoes, olives and julienned chilli. Add the cheese, pour in the dressing and stir to combine. Finally, decorate with a sprinkling of spring onions.