The luxurious Halekulani Hotel, with its tranquil gardens and stunning backdrop of Diamond Head, is a Waikiki landmark. This simple recipe showcases the local Big Island Kampachi (skipjack), but snapper or halibut make good substitutes. Use yellow or white saikyo miso for the aioli for a milder flavour.
- Kampachi Fillet 12 oz, sliced into 8 equal parts
- Pickled Daikon 2 oz, diced
- Ogo Seaweed or Sea Asparagus ½ oz
- Red Radish 1, thinly sliced
- Chives 4 per fillet
- Lemon Juice of ½ a lemon
- Sea Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper to taste
- Miso Paste 2 Tbs
- Japanese Mayonnaise 4 Tbs
- Place the kampachi slices between two plastic bags and smash with the bottom of a pan to form a thin sheet.
- Mix the miso and Japanese mayonnaise in a small bowl to create the miso aioli.
- To serve, smear miso aioli on a plate and place the kampachi on top. Top with ogo, pickled daikon, radish, chives and sprinkle with sea salt and pepper.
- Squeeze a few drops of lemon juice over before serving.