I can taste almonds in courgettes. If you try this combination, maybe you will not think me completely mad.
- Olive Oil 5 Tbs
- Garlic 3 cloves, finely sliced
- Courgettes (zucchini) 700 g, halved and thinly sliced widthways
- Dried Chilli 1, crumbled, or a pinch of Chilli Flakes
- Sea Salt
- Mint Leaves a handful, chopped
- Lemon Zest a pinch
- Almonds 2 Tbs, toasted and chopped roughly
- In a heavy lidded frying pan (skillet) over a medium heat, warm the oil and then add the garlic and the courgettes. Add the chilli and cook over a medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, so that the courgettes begin to take some colour and caramelize.
- After 5–10 minutes, when a fair few of the courgettes have caramelized, place the lid of the pan on and turn the heat down. Cook for another 10 minutes, stirring occasionally; if they begin to catch, add a splash of water.
- Once softened, taste and season. Add the chopped mint, lemon zest and almonds just before serving. This is best eaten at room temperature, with crusty bread and cheese.
Recipe excerpted from Bitter Honey: Recipes and Stories from Sardinia by Letitia Clark © 2020 Reproduced by permission of Hardie Grant. All rights reserved.