Léa packs her madeleines in gift boxes for her customers, but they are best eaten the day they are made. Madeleine moulds can be bought from high end kitchen stores, and also from Bed Bath and Beyond and Linen Chest. You will need to start the recipe one day in advance.
- Butter 200 g
- Icing Sugar 250 g, sifted
- Egg Whites 8
- Finely Ground Almonds 100 g
- All-Purpose Flour 75 g, sifted
- Softened Butter to grease the moulds
- Brown the butter in a small pan on medium heat until it has a light hazelnut fragrance, then remove the pan from heat and immediately pour the butter through a fine sieve into a bowl. Allow to cool.
- Beat the icing sugar lightly with the egg whites until smooth. Mix the ground almonds and flour, then add them to the sugar and egg white mixture. Pour in the warm browned butter and mix well. Let the batter sit overnight in the refrigerator covered with a plastic wrap.
- To complete, preheat the oven to 200˚C.
- Butter the madeleine moulds. Fill each one with nearly one tablespoon of batter until it is ¾ full. Bake for 8-10 minutes until golden brown. Remove from the oven, cool for a minute, and remove from the mould while still hot. Cool on a rack.
- Serve as a dessert or coffee time treat.