For a change from whipped cream, try this luscious crème fraîche topping. Its slight tartness pairs beautifully with fresh berries and the sweetness of pavlova.
- Egg Whites 4
- Caster Sugar 240 g
- White Vinegar 2 tsp
- Cornflour 2 tsp
- Preheat the oven to 150°C. Draw a circle 20 cm in diameter with a ballpoint pen onto a sheet of non-stick baking paper and set aside. In a large clean bowl, whip the egg whites until they form peaks. While continuing to whip, gradually rain in the caster sugar. Then whip a further 8–10 minutes until all the sugar granules have dissolved.
- Add the white vinegar and cornflour, then fold in with a metal spoon very gently until combined. Pour the meringue into the centre of the penned ring. Using a spatula or palette knife, work the mix to the edges of the ring to create an even, flat disc. Hold the paper very taut and place onto a baking sheet. Place in the centre of the oven and bake for 15 minutes. Turn the heat down to 120°C and bake a further 35–40 minutes. Remove from the oven and leave to cool to room temperature. Remove the paper and serve with soft whipped cream and fresh fruit.
- Egg Whites 3
- Caster sugar 240 g
- White Vinegar 1½ tsp
- Crème Fraîche 150 g
- Plain Yogurt150 g, thick consistency
- Raspberries 1 pkg, fresh
- Passionfruit 2, fresh
- Preheat the oven to 150°C. Line a tray with non-stick baking paper, then set aside. In a large clean bowl, whip the egg whites until they form peaks. While continuing to whip, gradually rain in the 180 g of the caster sugar. Then whip a further 8–10 minutes until all the sugar granules have dissolved.
- Add the white vinegar, then fold in with a metal spoon very gently until combined. Fit a piping bag with a large plain nozzle. Fill the bag and pipe 6 nests onto the baking tray. Start by piping in a spiral circle 6 cm in diameter. Then pipe a circle of meringue on top of the bases around the edge.
- Place in the oven for 5 minutes. Turn the heat down to 100°C and cook a further 35 minutes. Remove from the oven and leave to cool to room temperature. To serve, mix together crème fraîche, yoghurt and 60 g of caster sugar. Place the nests onto individual plates. Top with the crème fraîche mix, fresh raspberries and passionfruit pulp. Serve immediately.
Get More Pavlova Recipes!
For more Pavlova recipes, get Genevieve Knights’ indispensable Pavlova cookbook!