This lively salad is a powerhouse of nutrition, with plenty of protein from the quinoa, nuts and seeds, antioxidant blueberries, vitamin C from the broccoli and lime juice, plus lots of fibre. The dressing is made from polyphenol-rich extra virgin olive oil, sweetened with maple syrup. The salad is best made ahead of time and is perfect for a potluck or to take to the office for lunch.
- Quinoa 1 cup
- Water 2 cups
- Broccoli 1 head
- Pecans 1 cup
- Sunflower Seeds ½ cup
- Blueberries 2 cups
- Fresh Chives chopped, ¼ cup
- Fresh Parsley chopped, 1/2 cup
- Fresh Basil chopped, 1/2 cup
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil ½ cup
- Fresh Lime Juice ¼ cup
- Maple Syrup ¼ cup
- Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper to taste
- Bring the water to a boil, add the quinoa and reduce the heat to a simmer. Cover with a lid and cook until the water is mostly absorbed and the quinoa is tender to the bite, about 15 minutes. Fluff with a fork and allow to stand, covered, while you continue with the recipe.
- In a dry skillet, toast the sunflower seeds the set aside. In the same pan, toast the pecans.
- Break the broccoli into florets and chop finely.
- Make the dressing by whisking together the olive oil, lime juice, maples syrup, salt and pepper. Taste and adjust the seasoning.
- Drain any remaining water from the quinoa and place in large salad bowl. Add the broccoli, pecans, sunflower seeds, blueberries and herbs and toss to combine. Add the dressing and toss to coat.
- Allow the salad to stand for at least an hour and up to 24 hours an hour for flavours to meld.