Packed full of veggies, these fritters are healthy and delicious, served on their own, or with a side of eggs for breakfast or salad for lunch.
- Eggplant washed, unpeeled and cubed, 2 cups
- Onion ½ a medium, finely chopped
- Vegetable or Olive Oil 1 Tbs
- Corn Kernels fresh or frozen, 1 cup
- Carrot 1 medium, grated
- Zucchini 1 small, grated
- Red Bell Pepper ½, finely chopped
- Fresh Herbs a handful, chopped
- Eggs 2 large
- Milk 2 Tbs
- All-Purpose Flour ½ cup
- Baking Powder 1 tsp
- Dijon Mustard 1 Tbs
- Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper to taste
- Vegetable or Olive Oil for shallow frying
- Butter about 3 tsp, for shallow frying
- Heat 1 Tbs of oil in a skillet and sauté the onion and eggplant for about 5 minutes, until the onions are translucent and the eggplant is soft. Scrape into a large mixing bowl, add the carrot, zucchini, bell pepper, corn and herbs and set aside.
- In another mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, flour, baking powder, mustard, salt and pepper, to make a thick batter.
- Add the batter to the bowl of vegetables and mix until well combined.
- Heat a quarter inch of oil and 1 tsp butter in the skillet. Add 1 tsp butter. Scoop half-cups of fritter mix into the pan and press down gently with a spatula to form a fritter shape. Fry, undisturbed, over medium heat, for about 5 minutes, or until the bottom of the fritter is golden brown and crisp. Flip the fritters and fry for another five minutes. Drain on paper towel. If frying in batches, add a teaspoon of butter to the pan with each new batch.
- The fritters can be made ahead and reheated in a microwave or low oven.