Succotash is a lovely dish — a farm-to-table salute to summer. This is chef Anthony Ploof’s recipe, using the fresh butter beans and field peas that are readily available in the south. Frozen beans and corn can be used in a pinch.
- Yellow Onion 1, small dice
- Garlic 6 cloves, minced
- Butter Beans 4 cups
- Field Peas 4 cups
- Red Bell Pepper 2, small dice
- Corn Kernels 2 cups
- Zucchini 2 each, small dice
- Yellow Squash 2, small dice
- Cherry Tomatoes 1 cup, sliced in half
- Dried Thyme 1 Tbs
- Zest of 2 lemons
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Heavy Cream 2 oz
- Simmer the butter beans and field peas in a pot of boiling water for 15 minutes then drain and set aside.
- In a large sauté or braising pan, sauté the garlic and onions over medium heat until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the cooked field peas and butter beans, sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add the bell pepper, corn, zucchini, squash, thyme and lemon zest then sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add the heavy cream and sauté for a final 3 minutes.
- Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper to taste.