Look for tinned spiced sprats for this typical Estonian dish. Baltic sprats are normally marinated in a mixture of black pepper, allspice, cloves, nutmeg, coriander seeds, bay leaves, salt and sugar. If they are not available, substitute marinated sardines or herring.
- Dark Rye Bread 1 slice
- Butter at room temperature, for spreading
- Spiced Sprat Fillets 4
- Red Onion and/or Green Onion Tops 2 Tbs, chopped
- Hard-Boiled Egg 1, grated
- Sea Salt Crystals to taste
- Remove the crusts from the bread and butter the bread slices. Cut into four triangles and top with a cleaned spiced sprat fillet. Top with either sliced or grated hard-boiled egg, then sprinkle with chopped onions and sea salt crystals.