This delicious and hearty chowder will feed 4 for lunch or 8 if served as a first course. Feel free to add a splash of Caribbean rum. If you don’t live in the tropics, look for frozen conch meat in Asian or Caribbean stores and thaw it before starting the recipe.
- Conch Meat 1 lb, pounded thin and chopped
- Garlic 3 cloves, minced
- Olive Oil 2 Tbs
- Sweet Potato 2, peeled and finely diced
- Carrot 2, peeled and finely diced
- Red Onion 1 medium, peeled and finely diced
- Red Bell Pepper 1, finely diced
- Green Bell Pepper 1, finely diced
- White Wine ½ cup
- Fresh Thyme leaves from 4 sprigs
- Bay Leaf 1
- Thai Fish Sauce 1 tsp
- Crushed Tomatoes 1 x 28 oz can
- Water 1 cup
- Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper to taste
- Heavy Cream ½ cup
- Hot Sauce to taste
- Sauté the conch, garlic and vegetables in the olive oil until the vegetables are fork tender.
- Deglaze the pan with the white wine. Add the thyme, bay leaf, fish sauce, tomatoes and water. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Stir in the heavy cream and hot sauce. Season with salt and pepper.