This nourishing homemade stew is considered by many to be the national dish of Turkey.
- Beef Stew Meat 1 lb, cubed
- Butter 1 Tbs
- Olive Oil 2 Tbs
- Yellow Onion 1, chopped
- Garlic 3 cloves, chopped
- Water 1 cup
- Tomato Paste 3 Tbs
- Bay Leaf 2
- Diced Tomatoes 1 x 28 oz can
- Cannellini or White Navy Beans 2 x 28 oz cans, drained
- Aleppo Pepper 1 tsp
- Sugar 1 tsp
- Fresh Lemon Juice 2 Tbs, or to taste
- Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper to taste
- Heat the butter and olive oil in a large Dutch oven. Sauté the onions gently until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté a minute more.
- Add the beef, water, tomato paste, canned tomatoes and bay leaves, bring the pot to a boil then lower the heat to a gentle simmer, cover the pot and cook for 90 minutes, or until the beef is tender.
- Add the cannellini beans, sugar and Aleppo pepper. Increase the heat to an active simmer and cook with the pot uncovered until the stew reduces a bit and thickens, about 20 minutes. Season to taste with lemon juice, salt and pepper.