The flavour of this dish, writes Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings, is “exceptional.” The green-skinned Fuerte avocado grown in Florida is lower in fat and has a lighter flavour than the black-skinned Haas variety but either type can be used. The chives, Rawlings notes, are “very important.”
- Florida Avocado diced, 2 cups
- Celery very finely diced, 1 cup
- Chives minced, 1 Tbs
- Mayonnaise ¼ cup
- Sweet Chili Sauce ½ cup
- Juice of 1 Lemon
- Bacon 2 rashers, cooked and chopped
- Soft Lettuce Leaves for serving
- Mix all ingredients except the bacon, handling with a light touch.
- Chill briefly in the fridge.
- Serve over lettuce and scatter each serving with bacon.
Recipe adapted from Cross Creek Cookery by Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings. C. Scribner’s Sons 1942.