Cowgirl Creamery’s Red Hawk Potato Gratin is intended as a stand-alone table cheese, and they rarely recommend cooking with it. Here is one exception: a mouthwatering potato gratin infused with Red Hawk’s indulgent, creamy boldness.
- Butter 2 Tbs
- Red Hawk Cheese 10 oz cut in 16 wedges (including rind)
- Olive Oil 2 Tbs
- Onion 1 medium, julienned
- Yukon Gold Potatoes 2 lbs, peeled, sliced thin
- Garlic 3 cloves
- Cream 1 cup
- Parmesan Cheese grated 1/2 cup
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Heat a 9″ cast-iron skillet and add butter and olive oil to the pan. Add the onions and garlic and saute until soft. Turn off the heat and add the cream and half of the Parmesan cheese.
- Transfer half of the onion-cream mixture into a glass baking dish or a casserole dish, and place one layer of potatoes on top. Follow with a layer of Red Hawk wedges. Add one more layer of potatoes, Red Hawk, and the remaining onion-cream mixture. Sprinkle with Parmesan.
- Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes. Remove foil and bake for another half hour or until the top is brown and bubbly.