Chef Tyler Thomson of Grapes Wine and Charcuterie Bar, Fairmont Banff Springs, served this ice cream after I had stuffed myself silly with his excellent charcuterie, pickles and preserves. It was the perfect ending to a splendid lunch at Grapes — cool and rich, but not at all icky-sweet, and with a pronounced fall flavour.
- Butternut Squash 210 g
- Whipping Cream 350 ml
- 2% Milk 350 ml
- Vanilla Bean 1
- Egg Yolks 9
- Sugar 140 g
- Honey 2 Tbs
- Dried Cranberries for garnish
- Peel the squash, seed it, and cut into a fine dice. In a heavy pot, combine cream, milk and squash. Butterfly the vanilla beans and scrape the insides into the pot. Slowly heat the mixture to a scalding point and cook until the squash is cooked through.
- In a large bowl, or standing mixer, whisk the egg yolks, adding the sugar and honey slowly until the mixture is white. Temper with the scalded squash-dairy mixture, and put it back in the pot. Heat the mixture until it thickens, whisking constantly so as not to scramble, then put mixture in an ice bath to stop the cooking.
- Remove the vanilla beans, and purée the mixture until smooth, passing through a fine mesh sieve.
- Process in an ice cream machine using manufacturer’s instructions and place in freezer for at least 4 hours before serving.
- Butternut Squash 150 g
- Water 70 ml
- Vanilla Bean 1/3
- Sugar 160 g
- Peel the squash, seed it, and cut into a fine dice. Put the squash and the water into a food processor and process until smooth.
- In a heavy pot, combine sugar and squash puree. Butterfly the vanilla bean and scrape the inside into the pot. Cook the mixture down using a wooden spoon to scrape the bottom until it’s of a jam consistency.
- Remove the vanilla bean, and place the mixture in a food processor and process until smooth. Push the jam through a fine sieve so it’s very smooth.
- Refrigerate for at least 4 hours before serving.
- Raw Pecans 100 g
- Olive Oil 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 200° F. Toss the pecans in the olive oil and salt, and place on a parchment lined cookie sheet. Bake for 2 hours turning the nuts every 30 minutes.
- Scoop ice cream into bowl. Cover with squash jam. Top with cranberries and pecans and eat with a very large spoon.