- Cuban Bread 1 loaf, sliced lengthwise
- Unsalted Butter 1/2 stick (1/4 cup), softened
- Yellow Mustard 3 Tbs, or to taste
- Boiled Ham 1 1/2 lbs, sliced
- Roasted Pork 1 1/2 lbs, sliced
- Swiss Cheese 1 lb, sliced
- Dill Pickle Chips 1 cup, or to taste
- ASSEMBLE THE SANDWICH Spread 2 tablespoons of the butter on one half of the bread loaf and a thin layer of mustard on the other. Place 1 to 2 layers of ham, pork, cheese, and, finally, pickles on the buttered bread and top with the mustard-spread bread.
- WRAP THE SANDWICH IN FOIL Smear the remaining butter all over the outside of the sandwich and wrap it completely in aluminum foil.
- PRESS AND GRILL THE SANDWICH Heat your grill to high (550F) and close the lid. Wait at least 15 minutes before lowering the heat to medium-high (450F) and continuing.
- Before grilling the sandwich, press down on it with your hands to flatten it. Place the wrapped, flattened sandwich on the grill and top with a brick, grill press, or any other heavy, heat-resistant object. Close the lid and grill for 5 to 6 minutes per side.
- Remove the wrapped sandwich from the grill and take off the foil. Return the sandwich to the grill and grill for about 2 to 3 minutes per side, or until both pieces of bread are crispy and golden brown.
- SLICE AND SERVE Remove the sandwich from the grill and cut at an angle into small sandwich wedges (triangles). Place on a large platter and serve while still hot.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Latin Grilling: Recipes to Share, from Argentine Asado to Yucatecan Barbecue and More by Lourdes Castro, copyright © 2011. Published by Ten Speed Press, a division of Random House, Inc.