From Negril’s Sunset at the Palms resort, this is one of Chef Conrad Moore’s prized recipes , easy for home cooking and with ingredients readily available in North America – yet Jamaican through and through.
- Pumpkin 2 lbs, diced
- Irish Potatoes 1 lb
- Onions 2 medium, diced
- Thyme 1 sprig
- Celery 1 stalk, diced
- Garlic 4 cloves, crushed
- Curry Powder 1 Tbs
- Coconut Cream 4 oz
- Vegetable Stock 1 L
- Olive Oil ¼ cup
- Salt and White Pepper to taste
- Place the pumpkin and some of the onion on a baking sheet; add some of the oil and marinate. Roast in the oven for 15-20 minutes.
- Add the remaining oil to a stock pot and sauté the onions, celery and garlic until translucent. Add the curry powder and sauté two more minutes. Add the potatoes and stir until the potatoes are coated in the mixture. Add the roasted pumpkin and thyme to the stock pot.
- Add the vegetable stock. Cook for 30-35 minutes. Remove the thyme sprig and purée the soup with a stick blender until smooth or to desired consistency.
- Strain the mixture, return to the stove and add the coconut cream. Season with salt and pepper and bring to a simmer until ready to serve.