A recipe from the vegan/vegetarian cookbook East by Meera Sodha.
- Canola Oil 3 Tbs
- Onion 1 medium, chopped
- Ginger ¾ inch, peeled and grated
- Garlic 3 cloves, crushed
- Green Finger or Serrano Chile 1, finely chopped
- Raw Beets 1 lb, scrubbed and grated
- Potato ¼ lb (1 small), peeled and grated
- Vegan Vegetable Stock 3 cups
- Salt to taste
- Thick Yogurt non-dairy if vegan, Nigella Seeds and Grilled Sourdough to serve
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and, once it’s good and hot, add the onion and fry for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the ginger, garlic, and chile, then fry for 3 minutes, stirring all the while. Add the beet and potato, stir to coat, then pour in the stock and bring to the boil.
- Turn down the heat and leave to simmer for 30 minutes.
- Leave the soup to cool a little, then blend and taste—add up to ¼ teaspoon of salt if you like. Transfer the soup into bowls and top with a spoonful of yogurt and a sprinkling of nigella seeds. Serve hot with the grilled sourdough.
Recipe excerpted from East by Meera Sodha. Food photography by David Loftus © 2020. Reproduced by permission of Flatiron. All rights reserved.