- Stewing Beef 500 g, cut into reasonably big cubes
- Olive Oil
- Flour ½ to 1 Tbs
- White Wine 1 cup
- Salt and Freshly Ground Pepper
- Bouquet Garni (if desired, include a couple of cloves of garlic)
- Carrots 500 g
- Onions 2, chopped
- In a large heavy casserole, brown beef all over in oil, sprinkle with flour and toss meat to seal. Add wine and ¾ cup water, season, add bouquet garni. Cover and simmer over low heat for about 1 hour.
- Peel and slice carrots, add with onions to the casserole and cook for a further hour or more, until the beef is very tender.
- Serve with mashed potatoes, purée de pommes de terre in French, or more simply, purée.
Recipe from Wild Asparagus, Wild Strawberries : Two years in France by Barbara Santich/Wakefield Press.