Duck fat is culinary gold! It is often used for frying or roasting potatoes but it is also brilliant in a dressing for hearty greens. If the duck fat is solid, warm it gently to liquefy before starting the recipe.
- Duck Fat ¼ cup plus 1 tsp, divided
- Red Wine Vinegar 3 Tbs
- Fresh Lemon Juice 1 Tbs
- Dijon Mustard 1 tsp
- Honey 1 tsp
- Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper to taste
- Baby Kale Leaves 2 cups, washed
- Baby Spinach Leaves 2 cups, washed
- Radishes 4, thinly sliced
- Celery 1 stalk, finely sliced
- Prosciutto 4 slices
- Pomegranate Seeds ½ cup
- Place the ¼ cup of duck fat in a small screw-top jar along with the vinegar, lemon juice, mustard, honey, salt and pepper. Close the lid tightly and shake vigorously until the dressing is smooth and creamy. Taste for seasoning and add salt and pepper to tatse.
- Heat the remaining tsp of duck fat in a skillet until sizzling. Add the prosciutto slices and fry for about 30 seconds per side, or until crisp. Remove and drain on paper towel. When cool enough to handle, chop roughly.
- Combine the salad greens, radish and celery in a bowl. Top with the prosciutto and pomegranate seeds. Pour the dressing over and toss to coat.