Fresh tart cherries feature in this recipe by Chef Janice Thomas of Savory Spoon cooking school in Ellison Bay, Wisconsin.
- Walnut Oil or Olive Oil 2 Tbs
- Shallot finely chopped, 2 Tbs
- Fresh Tarragon chopped, 1 Tbs
- Fresh Lemon Juice 1 Tbs
- Lemon Zest ¾ tsp
- Sliced Almonds ¾ cup
- Egg 1 large
- Water 1 Tbs
- Soft Fresh Goat Cheese 1 x 11 oz log, cut into 6 rounds
- Mixed Baby Greens or Baby Spinach 6 cups, packed
- Fresh Cherries 1 cup, halved and pitted
- Fresh Fennel thinly sliced, ½ cup
- Preheat the oven to 400˚F.
- Whisk the first five ingredients in a small bowl. Season the dressing well with salt and pepper.
- Spread the almonds on a plate. Whisk the egg and 1 Tbs water in a small bowl, sprinkle with freshly ground black pepper.
- Turn the goat cheese rounds in the egg mixture, then coat with sliced almonds, covering all sides. Place on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Bake the goat cheese until the cheese is warm but NOT melted, about 10 minutes.
- Combine the greens, cherries and fennel in a large bowl. Add the dressing and toss to coat.
- Divide the salad among 6 plates. Place one cheese round on each plate.