A recipe from the vegan/vegetarian cookbook East by Meera Sodha.
- Silken Tofu 14 oz
- Toasted Sesame Oil 2 Tbs
- White Wine Vinegar 1 tsp
- Soy Sauce 1½ Tbs
- Agave Syrup ½ Tbs
- Canola Oil ½ Tbs
- Green Onions 2, green part only, ﬁnely chopped
- Pine Nuts ⅓ cup
- Pickled Chile Peppers 2, ﬁnely sliced
- Cilantro ¼ cup, ﬁnely sliced
- Remove the tofu from its packaging, put on a plate, and leave for 10 minutes or so, then tip the water away. Place the drained tofu on a nice serving plate with a lip, as things are about to get saucy.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine the sesame oil, vinegar, soy sauce, agave syrup, and 2 tablespoons of hot water. Whisk with a fork to mix.
- Put the canola oil into a pan over a high heat and, when hot, add the green onions, pine nuts, and pickled chile peppers. Fry for 2 minutes, stirring every now and then, being very careful not to burn the mixture.
- Very carefully (as it may spit), tip the hot pine nuts into the sesame oil mixture along with the cilantro. Mix well, then pour over the tofu and serve.
Recipe excerpted from East by Meera Sodha. Food photography by David Loftus © 2020. Reproduced by permission of Flatiron. All rights reserved.