Topped with seasoned yogurt and made hearty with lentils, this is a wonderful main course for vegetarians or a perfect side dish.
- Candy Cane, Golden and Sugar Beets 2 lb, mixed
- Dried French Lentils 1 cup
- Sea Salt 1½ tsp, divided
- Olive Oil ¼ cup
- White Wine Vinegar 2 Tbs
- Greek Yogurt 1 cup
- Lemon Juice 2 Tbs
- Ground Cumin 1 tsp
- Beet Microgreens for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Scrub the beets. Using a paring knife or vegetable peeler, peel the candy cane beets. Slice the beets into wedges and set aside. Repeat with the golden beets, and then the sugar beets. Continue to keep the colours separate.
- Wrap each colour separately in aluminum foil so the colours don’t bleed. Roast until fork-tender, 30 to 45 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly.
- While the beets are cooking, rinse the lentils well, place in a medium pot, and add just enough water to cover them. Cover the pot and bring the water to a boil, then turn down the heat to low and set the lid slightly ajar. Simmer until all the water is absorbed and the lentils are fork-tender, 30 to 45 minutes. Remove from the heat and fluff with a fork. Drizzle 1 tsp of the salt, the oil, and vinegar over top, and mix well with a wooden spoon to evenly coat the lentils.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the remaining ½ teaspoon of salt, the yogurt, lemon juice, and cumin until fully combined.
- Spoon the lentils onto a serving platter, arrange the beets on top, and drizzle with the yogurt dressing. Garnish with microgreens and serve.
- This salad is lovely served warm or chilled. Once dressed with the yogurt, it’s best enjoyed the day it’s made, although the various components will keep in separate airtight containers in the fridge for up to 1 week.