The orange baskets are not just cute, when baked, their oils impart a beautiful fragrance to the sweet potato filling.
- Sweet Potato 1 large, peeled, boiled and mashed
- Salt 1/8 tsp
- Honey 1 tsp
- Heavy Cream 2 Tbs
- Egg 1 large, beaten
- Powder Cloves a pinch
- Oranges 2
- Butter 4 tsp
- Orange Zest from 1 additional orange
- Combine the mashed sweet potato with the salt, honey, cream, egg and cloves.
- Cut the two oranges in half and scoop out the pulp, saving for another use.
- Fill the orange halves with the sweet potato mixture and top each with a teaspoon of butter and some grated orange zest.
- Bake in a 400˚F oven until faintly browned, about 10 minutes.
Recipe adapted from Cross Creek Cookery by Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings. C. Scribner’s Sons 1942.