This recipe, currently available on the menu at Sky Bistro, was passed down to Chef Scott from his mentor, retired Chef Martin Luthi, formerly of the Fairmont Banff Springs.
- Butter ½ cup
- Carrot diced, 1/3 cup
- Celery diced, 1/3 cup
- Onion diced, generous ½ cup
- All-Purpose Flour scant 1 cup
- Clam Juice 1 ½ cups
- Cooked Clam Meat 1 cup
- Water 1 cup
- Other Fish of choice, cooked and flaked
- Chopped Cooked Bacon
- Tobiko (flying fish roe)
- Place the butter, onion, carrot and celery in a large pot over medium heat and cook until the vegetables have softened and the onions are translucent.
- Add the flour, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon in a figure-eight motion for even cooking. In three to five minutes, you’ll have a light roux that should puff slightly.
- Switch to a whisk, and add clam juice slowly, while whisking out any lumps. Slowly add the water, while whisking, until you reach your desired consistency. Stir in the clam meat.
- Place flaked fish or other seafood in serving bowls, top with the hot chowder. Garnish with cooked chopped bacon and tobiko.