This old-fashioned bread is traditionally shaped by hand but you can also use a loaf pan. I learned to make the bread at Dingle Cookery School.
- Wholewheat Flour 300 g
- Plain White Flour 200 g
- Rolled Oats 80 g
- Baking Soda 1 Tbs
- Buttermilk 300-360 ml
- Salt a pinch
- Preheat the oven to 190˚C.
- Mix all the dry ingredients together.
- Add the buttermilk until the mixture reaches a stiff porridge-like consistency.
- Place the dough on a floured tray and shape into flat loaf around 3 inches thick and make a cross on the dough. Alternatively, place the dough in a loaf pan.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Check by putting a skewer into the centre, and if it comes out dry the bread is done. If it is still wet, bake for a few more minutes.