This is an easy and delicious way to use up leftover sparkling wine. But be sure to set aside a glass of the bubbly to enjoy while you make the pancakes!
- Strawberries 2 cups, hulled and halved if they’re small, quartered if large
- Sugar 1/2 cup
- Maple Syrup 1 Tbs
- Lemon Juice a splash
- Lemon Zest ½ tsp
- Sparkling Wine ¾ cup, divided
- Cornstarch 2 tsp
- All-Purpose Flour 2 cups
- Baking Powder 2 tsp
- Salt 1/2 tsp
- Baking Soda 1 tsp
- Sugar 1 Tbs
- Eggs 2 large
- Buttermilk 2 cups
- Sparkling Wine 1/3 cup
- Mix the cornstarch with ¼ cup of sparkling wine in a small bowl.
- Combine the strawberries, sugar, maple syrup, ½ cup of sparkling wine, lemon juice and lemon zest in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir well and bring to a soft boil. Once the syrup comes to a boil, turn the heat down, add the cornstarch slurry and cook for about 5 more minutes.
- Mix in the lemon zest just before serving.
- Stir the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar together in a bowl.
- Add the eggs, buttermilk and sparkling wine and mix well.
- Heat a pan on medium and pour in 1/4 cup batter for each pancake. Cook for 3-4 minutes and flip. Cook until done.