At Miss Mary Bobo’s Boarding House in Lynchburg, Tennessee, dinner, the main meal of the day, was always served at noon. Supper was a lighter evening meal. Both made abundant use of vegetables grown in the boarding house garden.
- Ripe Tomatoes 6 large, sliced
- Green Onions 1 bunch, sliced, including some green tops
- Parsley 2 Tbs, minced
- Basil 2 Tbs, minced
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil ¾ cup
- Apple Cider Vinegar ¼ cup
- Garlic 1 small clove, minced
- Sugar 1 tsp
- Salt 1 tsp
- Worcestershire Sauce 1 tsp
- In a large salad bowl layer the tomatoes and onions. Sprinkle with parsley, basil, salt and pepper.
- In a small mixing bowl combine the oil, vinegar, garlic, sugar, salt and Worcestershire sauce with a wire whisk or electric mixer.
- Spoon the oil mixture over the tomato slices. Cover and chill until suppertime.