This recipe comes from the Hanoi Cooking Centre. Look for green papaya in an Asian supermarket. If you can’t find it, you can substitute julienne strips of zucchini or chayote, tossed with the juice of a lime.
- Green Papaya 1/3, peeled and julienned
- Carrot 1 small, peeled and julienned
- Lemon Balm ½ cup
- Dried Beef Jerky a few strips, shredded
- Roasted Peanuts 1 Tbs, chopped
- Fresh Cilantro Leaves for garnish
Bun Cha Sauce
- Water 315 ml
- Fish Sauce 2 ½ Tbs
- Rice Vinegar 2 ½ Tbs
- White Sugar 5 Tbs
- Palm Sugar or Brown Sugar 1 tsp
- Combine all the sauce ingredients in a saucepan and boil until the sugar is dissolved.
- Combine the papaya, carrot, lemon balm and dried beef with the sauce. Top with cilantro and peanuts.