Some varieties of rhubarb will never produce that glorious pink colour, even when the stalks are mature. Green rhubarb tastes just as good as pink but it doesn’t look pretty when cooked. This lovely bread will turn even ugly duckling rhubarb into a sweet treat.
- Rhubarb washed and cut into 2” pieces, 2 cups
- Brown Sugar 2 Tbs
- Water 2 Tbs
- White Sugar 3/4 cup
- Milk ½ cup
- Vegetable Oil ½ cup
- Egg 1 large
- Vanilla 1 tsp
- All-Purpose Flour 2 cups
- Baking Powder 2 tsp
- Salt ½ tsp
- Cardamom Powder 1 tsp
- Place the rhubarb, brown sugar and water in a saucepan, bring to a simmer, cover and cook over medium heat until the rhubarb is tender, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the sugar, milk, oil, egg and vanilla.
- In another mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt and cardamom.
- Drain any excess liquid from the rhubarb and stir the rhubarb into the bowl of liquid ingredients. Add the dry ingredients and mix until no streaks of flour remain. Do not over mix.
- Scrape the batter into a loaf pan and bake for about 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the centre of the loaf comes out clean.