Little Italian macaroons add a hint of almond flavour to this free-form tart of summer fruit from the Italian Riviera.
- All-Purpose Flour 1 1/2 cups
- Salt ½ tsp
- Butter 6 Tbs, chilled and cubed
- Vodka or Lemon Juice 1 tsp
- Ice Cold Water ¼ cup
- Amaretti Biscuits 1 cup, divided
- Apricot Jam 3 Tbs
- Vanilla Exract 1 tsp
- Nectarines 6, sliced
- Heavy Cream 2 Tbs
- Make the pastry: In a food processor, pulse the flour, salt and butter until just combined and still crumbly. Add the blended. Add the vodka or lemon juice and water and pulse until the dough comes together.
- Pat the dough into a disk and cover in plastic wrap or wax paper. Refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 425˚F.
- Crush the amaretti cookies and set aside ¼ cup of crumbs.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the remaining crumbs with the apricot jam and vanilla.
- Remove the pastry from the refrigerator and roll out to a 12” circle. Place on a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
- Spread the jam mixture over the pastry, leaving a 2 inch border around the edges. Top with the nectarine slices, mounding in the centre.
- Fold the edges of the pastry over the fruit, pleating as you go. Sprinkle the reserved amaretti crumbs over the fruit and brush the pastry crust with the heavy cream.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes, until the crust is golden. Allow to cool for 15 minutes before serving.
Read the story here