You can also make this recipe in a blender, however, that will require electricity, and a blender. Doing this by hand will guarantee the authentic taste and texture of a tradition that is generations old.
- Eggplant 3 medium
- Garlic 9 cloves, finely minced
- Whole Milk Yogurt 300 ml
- Tahini 150 ml
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil 150 ml, or to taste
- Flat Leaf Parsley a handful, chopped
- Salt to taste
- Pita Bread for serving
1. Grill the whole eggplants over charcoal until very tender and entirely charred on all sides. Cool and remove the charred skin. Crush the eggplant by hand. In the Dunia household, this means a deep bowl and tumbler but a large mortar and pestle will be fine.
2. Add the minced garlic, the yogurt and tahini. Mix everything by hand until it is a smooth purée with a few small chunks. Add salt to taste.
3. Place in a serving dish and make a small well in the centre of the eggplant purée. Pour in the olive oil and garnish with the flat leaf parsley. Serve with the freshest baked pita possible.