A deliciously oozy treat, from Cucina Siciliana by Ursula Ferrigno.
- Olive Oil 4 Tbs, for frying
- Garlic 2 cloves, crushed
- Provolone Cheese 700 g, cut into 2.5 x 1-cm strips
- White Wine Vinegar 4 Tbs, or a little Balsamic Vinegar
- Freshly Chopped Oregano 4 tsp
- Good-Quality Extra Virgin Olive Oil to serve
- Wonderful Bread to mop up the juices
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan/skillet set over low heat. Sauté the garlic until coloured and then discard. Add the cheese, arranging it in a single layer. Cook for 3–4 minutes on each side, without allowing the cheese to burn. Transfer to a serving plate.
- Pour over the vinegar and sprinkle with oregano. Serve immediately with a little good oil on top and some great bread.
Excerpted from Cucina Siciliana by Ursula Ferrigno, published by Ryland Peters & Small (CAN $27.95). Photography by David Munns © Ryland Peters & Small. Used with permission from the publisher.