There are several steps in this recipe from Chef Bradley Hornby of Arbour Restaurant in Marlborough but none of them are difficult and the end result is a stunning, party-worthy plate.
Cured Ora King Salmon
- Ora King Salmon Fillet 1 side, fresh, raw, skin off, bones out
- Sea Salt 1 cup
- Sugar ½ cup
- Lemon Zest of 3 lemons
- Coriander Seeds 1 Tbs, toasted
- Pink Peppercorns ½ Tbs
- Mix all the ingredients together and rub over the salmon. Put on a cake rack in the fridge uncovered for 24 hours. Remove the seeds and peppercorns and slice salmon into 1cm thick portions.
- Pumpkin 30 slices, thinly shaved on a mandolin
- White Wine Vinegar 2 cups
- Caster Sugar 1 cup
- Coriander Seeds ½ Tbs
- Star Anise 1 piece
- Thyme 1 sprig
- Lemon Zest of 1 lemon
Bring everything except the pumpkin to the boil. Remove from heat and drop sliced pumpkin into hot stock. Leave to cool. Drain and store in airtight container.
Black Garlic Purée
- Shallots 6 each, thinly sliced
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil 2 Tbs
- Green Apple 1, peeled, cored and sliced
- Black Garlic 4 cloves
- Chicken Stock 1 cup
- Sea Salt ½ tsp
Cook shallots in olive oil, add apple when shallots are soft, add black garlic, cover with chicken stock, cook until tender, the liquid should have reduced by half. Blend till smooth. Check for salt as this will vary depending on your chicken stock.
- Sour Cream 150 ml
- Crème Fraiche 100 ml
- Roast Garlic Cloves 5
- Lemon Zest and Juice of 1 lemon
- Freshly Grated Horseradish 1 Tbs
Place all ingredients in a bowl and mix well with a spatula, add salt and pepper as desired.
- Lemon Juice 100 ml, saved from zesting
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil 100 ml
- Salt and Pepper to taste
Mix olive oil and lemon together well. Taste and season with the salt and pepper
- Fennel Bulb 20 slices, thinly shaved on a mandolin
- Hazelnuts 20, toasted, skin removed, halved
- Mandarin or Orange 4, in tidy segments
- Baby Leaves 30 (Chef Hornby used his new swiss chard growth and the tips of wild fennel)
- Wild Fennel Pollen (or your favourite delicate spice blend) to sprinkle
When you are ready to assemble your plate, quickly toss the mandarin, baby leaves and fennel quickly in the dressing you made and remove.