Salad Freak author and recipe developer Jess Damuck says to cook bacon the way Snoop Dogg does, dump a whole pound into a skillet and leave it to cook, stirring from time to time with a pair of tongs. Drain on paper towel. Trust us, it works!
- Iceberg Lettuce 1 head
- Cherry Tomatoes 1 pint, preferably Sungold
- Fresh Mint Leaves 1 handful
- Fresh Basil Leaves 1 handful
- Fresh Dill, 1 handful, thick stems removed
- Green Goddess Dressing 1 recipe (below)
- Feta Cheese (Valbreso or French) 3 oz
- Bacon 1 lb, cooked Snoop-style
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper
Green Goddess Dressing
- Ripe Avocado 1, pitted and peeled
- Buttermilk ½ cup
- Fresh Basil Leaves 1 cup
- Fresh Dill ½ cup, tough stems removed
- Fresh Mint leaves ½ cup
- Garlic 2 cloves, peeled
- Juice of ½ a Lemon
- Kosher Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- Make the dressing: Put all of the ingredients except salt and pepper in a high-powered blender or food processor. Blend until combined, scraping down the sides as necessary. Season with salt and pepper.
- Prep: Give the head of lettuce a good rinse under cold water, then pat dry. Remove any leaves that seem dirty or wilted. Trim the end of the iceberg just a little bit, and peel off any damaged or not-so-hot looking outer leaves. Cut in half root to tip, then cut in half root to tip again. Place each wedge on its own plate or put them all on a platter. Cut the cherry tomatoes in half.
- Assemble and serve: Spoon a bit of the dressing over the top of each wedge. Scatter the tomatoes on the top and over the sides – some will stick to the sides but it is okay if they spill off onto the plate. Crumble the feta over the top, crumble the bacon over the top, and sprinkle with lots of mint, basil and dill. Top with a pinch of pepper.
Excerpted from Salad Freak: recipes to feed a healthy obsession by Jess Damuck, Copyright © 2022. Published by Abrams.