This charmingly retro dish, which Rawlings liked to serve at luncheon, has held up very well. It is easy to make and delicious.
- Tomato Juice 2 cups
- Knox Gelatine 1 envelope
- Lemon Juice 1 Tbs
- Salt a pinch
- Worcestershire Sauce a few drops
- Canned Artichoke Hearts 4 pieces, drained
- Dissolve the gelatine in 3 Tbs of the cold tomato juice.
- Heat 1 cup of tomato juice until almost boiling. Stir into the soaked gelatin until blended.
- Add the remaining cold tomato juice, the lemon juice, salt and Worcestershire sauce.
- Place an artichoke heart in the bottom of each of 4 individual molds and pour the tomato mixture over. Chill in the refrigerator until set.
- Serve with crisp lettuce, lemon and mayonnaise.
Recipe adapted from Cross Creek Cookery by Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings. C. Scribner’s Sons 1942.