This old fashioned German dish of apples and potatoes makes a hearty winter side dish, or with the addition of some fried or poached eggs, a tasty breakfast hash.
- Baby Potatoes 2 lb, washed and halved
- Apples 2 lb, peeled, cored and cut into chunks
- Vegetable Oil 1 Tbs
- Kielbasa or Bratwurst Sausages 2, cut in half moon slices
- Wholegrain Bread 2 slices, processed into crumbs
- Dried Thyme 1 tsp
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper to taste
- Put the potatoes into a large saucepan, cover with water and bring to the boil, then lower the heat to a simmer and cook until the potatoes are fork tender.
- Add the apples and cook for a few minutes more, until apples start to soften.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large skillet. Add the sausages and fry until starting to crisp. Drain on paper towel.
- Add the breadcrumbs and thyme to the skillet and fry in the sausage fat until golden.
- Drain the potatoes and apples. Combine with the sausages in a serving dish, season with black pepper and sprinkle the toasted breadcrumbs over the top.